Friday, October 19, 2007

My Learning Experience

I'm sorry for my absence, i am back. Alot has happened to me in the past week and i just haven't been able to blog or do a lot of other things for that matter and i'll share them now.So solomonsydelle and afrobabe, here's the update

Learning is a different experience for different people. This week, i have had some experiences which i'm trying to come to terms with or i've just gotten to accept. I started learning to drive properly in recent times since i have been very lazy about it. I used to leave the car at home and go out in cabs but has proved very inconvenient in recent times, i just hate the haggling and so on so i summoned courage and got hubby's permission to start taking the car. I arranged with one of my colleagues to be riding with me,and voila we were good to go. I had driven round my area for a while so i was gettng confident.

First day i drove to work, the car told me 'check coolant', meaning there was no water in the radiator, we put water and it started leaking, so i called the mechanic to meet me at home, only for us to drive a few metres and the car stopped. We waited there for over an hour, the guy came, attended to it and the car started. I was like so upset, considering i wanted to speand the rest of my afternoon writing after resting a bit. I closed from work at 1:30 and didn't get to my house till like past 4:00. It's only about 20 minutes journey. Hubby and i talked on the phone and we joked about it as part of driving experience, i felt better

The following day, i drove to work and back and there was no issue, so i begged my colleague that i needed fuel for our generator and also some for the car. We drove to the filling station and bought the fuel. I dropped my friend at his place, our houses are just about 5 minutes apart, was driving home jejelly (gently) and was entering a corner, when this car suddenly appeared in front of me, i didn't know what to do, i panicked, next thing our cars had kissed and then i remembered the brake...it was too late! Next thing i know i'm out of my car and shaking like a leaf! I called hubby and said, i have wrecked the front of the car and he was like 'oh my god!'. He wasn't around so he told me to call the mechanic. I called my colleague, i was on autopilot, i gave my car key to a guy i didn't know to help me move it off the road until some lady nudged me to enter the car, the guy could have been a thief! I got into it!

The guy in the car came to meet me asking what he would do now, apparently, he was a driver. i didn't even fully understand yet, my colleague came, the guy said his oga said we should come and meet him in his hospital since he's a doctor. We drove there. The owner of the car refused to come out to talk to use, he sent for his mechanic. We went back to the accident venue, the mechanic exclaimed hwen he saw the car. The left fender was damaged and the headlight was broken etc etc. He was able to drive it, then the owner came out to examine it, he was an Indian, he didn't even acknowledge my presence. He sent for his panel beater and then i was hearing i would need to buy him a new windscreen, new headlamps, new bumper, etc, i was like what? Was this guy waiting for someone to solve all the problems on his car? I'm not a racially prejudiced person but i've heard Indians are very harsh people, it was being confirmed to me live by this guy who was not even willing to hear that i had the L plate on and his driver was not smart enough to swerve for me, only stopped in front making me panic.

The banter went on with my two friends negotiating with them on what i would fix and not fix, and then he wanted me to use his panel beater, it was all getting too much so i decided to go have a talk to him and see if we could reach an agreement. I had spent almost 2 hours with him and i had not even started solving the problem of our own car with its expensive parts. I tried reasoning with him then he told me he treats his car like his patient and if there's a minor damage somewhere, then i would replace it. I flipped, here i was, three hours after leaving work, and tackling unexpected issues, the guy was not even willing to compromise, i could have gone to my house, but out of being a nice person i followed his malo (hausa) driver to meet him. I flipped and started raking for the guy who just entered into his office. i told him if he wanted his panel beater, then he should be prepared to solve the problem himself. I was raking like a mad woman, it was suddenly too much....

We took his car to the panel beater's and my mechanic took our away...i forgot the house keys in the car, the mechanic had to come back with it. Once i entered my house, i broke down, tears that i didn't know were there rose to the surface. It had been a really horibble day, hubby was not around to cry on his shoulders...Everyone kept telling me it was part of learning the ropes. Well hubby wasn't upset about it, he was trying his best to comfort me and even told me i have becoem an international driver. He's such a sweet guy. I cried and felt better

I thought about the whole situation and i decided i'm not buying any windscreen, i paid for the panel beating and will buy the lights, that's all i'm going to do. Thank God he doesn't have my phone number or house address, the guy was just too mean. Or what do you guys think i should do? Will appreciate your suggestions.

Car is being fixed now and life is going on, so that's what i've been up to my peeps!

21 comments:

Initium said...

Girl, take it easy; one day you'll conquer the whole driving thing!
If the windshield was not damaged by the hit, you really shouldn't have to pay for it.

Arewa said...

Aww u poor thing. I think that u should just fix the bits that were damaged by the accident and leave the rest to him.. What the hell and whats all that nonsense about him treating his car like his patient...make he commot for there...!!
Just be careful the next time ur out there dear...x x x[{big hug}]

Writefreak said...

@ acainto

thanks a bunch, i even drove today so the fear won't settle in

@ arewa

your hubby is nigerian? thanks for the love, i feel comforted!

anonymous gal(retired blogger) said...

sorry o. trully its the learnin process. me i hit a boss whilst learnin. i was in the core north then was wearin a spagetti top and a pair of tight jeans. you can imagine my predicament and the tpe of insults i received.

Arewa said...

Yes oh.My man is from Naija.. hence all the wahala i am having to put up with(read my blog).
Im glad ur feeling a lot better now after the accident...take care and stay blessed x x x

Aijay said...

That guy is so horrible. Trying to play a fast one on you. He didn't even acknowledge your presence. Is he alright?
Like Arewa said fix only what was damaged by the accident.
This is so annoying. I hate it when people try to play smart or take advantage of people/a situation.
Pele my dear... don't let it get to you.

LurLar said...

Lol@international driver.

Yes i agree...it's all part of learning.

You have don enuff...as long as his windscreen did not crack. yeye man.

Afrobabe said...

mennnn babe you fucked up oh,if he had no details you would have simply not done any of the above self..he is a foolish man, didnt even have the sense to come down and see if you were ok...

In my head and around me said...

The perils of driving in Lagos. Kpele

YankeeNaija said...

Don't feel too badly about the driving situation. I lived in Lagos for three years and didn't drive until I'd stayed a year and a half. I don't know if it was fear or just observing, but I finally drove and my heart raced. Funny thing is, being back in L.A., the driving experience I had in Lagos, made me a better driver. Hmmm...go figure.

Miss Opeke said...

Lagos road...hmmm! It is a Dog-eat-dog world out there on Lagos road
So all this is just to make you strong...One day, you will join those Ogbonge drivers...

Thanks for stopping by my blog...

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

OMG babe, I hope you are okay? E pele oh! Don't mind the Indian dude, looking for opportunity to chop money!

Take it easy my sista!

♥♫♪nyemoni♫♪♥ said...

You learn everyday my dear! Take it easy, one step at a time and this too shall pass! Good luck!

Unknown said...

ahwwwwwwwwwww
it shall be well

Writefreak said...

@ all
thanks so much for the wonderful and generous compliments. I feel much better now. I've done my bit on his car and that's about it. Mine too is back on the road and oh, i'm extremely careful now! Thanks guys

Anonymous said...

awwwwwwwwww lol.. how is ur driving now? see me talking, i cant drive either o.. lol

darkelcee said...

pele, i am sure very soon you will look back and smile at it

take care of urself and be good.

Afrobabe said...

was begining to wonder if you had been locked up...glad to see u r fine

Aijay said...

Update!!! LOL. Yeah, you guessed. I'm screaming "update" cos I've just done so.

Heartbeat said...

Hallos, i thot you were off bloggsville..why did u change ur address without allowing us know? i was delighted when i stumbled on yours from ur comment on another blog. Nyway, glad to know you are fine.
Pele on the car oh. Those people are just coloured versions of our own 419.
Stay in charge and regards to ur husband! and some of us are waiting for that book of yours, so hurry :-)

www.fumosh.wordpress.com

Writefreak said...

@ bimbylads and darkelcee
Thank you jare my people, bimby, go and learn to drive then you can talk...lol

@afrobabe and aijay
Sorry guys, will update, been busy working on my book, thanks for checking up

@funmi
thanks dear, we're both doing well and i'm seriously working on the book, 2 more chapters before editing...it will come out