'For we dare not class ourselves or compare ourselves with those who commend themselves. But they, measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise'.
2 Cor 10: 11-12
Ok so what is Writefreak saying today? God is teaching me some lessons and i'd like to leave a bit of them with you my family on blogville. Comparing yourself with anyone, anyone at all, is a sign of foolishness! Have you ever heard yourself say things like these:
1. Why me?
2. All my mates are getting married, why not me?
3. All my friends have kids but me
4. Why is my life so different?
There are so many ways we compare ourselves with others and instead of focusing on what is important, we're caught in trying to be like Mr A or Mrs B. How dare you? When God has made only one YOU; each of us with unique gifts and abilities, some have disovered theirs, others are working out theirs while some are being too lazy to work it out. Whatever point we are in our lives, the focus should be on what God wants for us per time and not what the other person is about. And if we're being lazy, then we need to step up our game!
It's not easy not to compare because you always have people around you who will help you do it anyway. Even when you don't want to, folks compare you to others and poison your minds.
Real life scenario. A phone call comes in from a friend you haven't heard from in a long time. It goes, how're you doing? It's been a long time, the last time i heard from you was over a year ago at your wedding. You're happy to hear from the long time friend and you tell her, oh yes, it's been way too long! Then she asks you if everything is alright. In your innocence, you go oh sure all is perfect! Then she teasingly asks if you have a baby on the way and you say hmmm,not yet. Then she goes, oh i hope all is well....my friend who got married with you on the same day just had a baby. My response; don't you ever compare me with anyone, God has a plan for each of our lives and whatever His plan is for my life i'm sure is not the same with that of your friend's. So my dear, when are you getting married? You guessed right, the call ended. Even if you don't want to compare, people help you to.
Asking Why me is a major pointer to the fact that you're comparing yourself to others. The experiences we go through in life are meant to shape us into who we eventually become and since you didn't make yourself, you need to let Him work out His will in your life...When gold has been tried, it becomes pure.
I'm learning that no one has it perfect and the person you're comparing yourself to has also got an area where their shoes pinch. You're not wearing their shoes so you don't know where it hurts and a lot of people wear theirs gracefully!
There's a unique YOU that no one else can be like. It's questioning God's word and authority when you ask Him why can't i be like so so person....being in the comparison trap is the worst place one can get stuck in. I'm not exonerating myself cos i've been guilty so many times, asking God questions and mentioning names sometimes. It's ok to ask God questions but don't get stuck there...move on!
What does His word say regarding me? What does His word say regarding any situation i'm in? Focus on that and not what is not working in your life but working in your friend or colleague's life. When you're going through something, it's for something glorious to come in the end...('For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory') " Cor 4:17.
Also you need to block out every factor, including humans that want to make you stay in the dumps and judge the situation of your life by that of others. Stay focused on God and what you know He has in store for you. When you fall into the comparison trap, ask Him to forgive you and help you see the greater good He has for your life. It doesn't seem like it sometimes but trust me, He's got a greater good He's cooking up most times when everything looks turpsy turvy!
On the whole, know that God never wants to punish you, the devil will bring afflictions your way that is certain but God always has a way out, an escape route...you might not see it immediately because God doesn't work like a microwave, it might take time but your beauty will shine forth. Isaac got married to Rebekkah at 40 years, he asked God for children, Esau and Jacob came when he was 60 years. Yeah that seems like a very long time, i must commend his faith cos i think in his shows, i'd be tempted to throw in the towel and sit somewhere moping and asking God WHY ME? It might take time, your life might not look as glamorous as that of folks around you now but with your trust in Him and letting Him work in you daily, you will get there.
Be wise, do not compare yourself to others!
So it's a Wednesday and i'm definitely thankful to God for His numerous blessings. These are some of my own reasons:
1. I am thankful to God for the lessons He continuously teaches me. Right now, i am thankful that my life is not defined by anybody's opinion but by His word
2. I am thankful for the public holiday on Monday, hubby and i got to spend time together at home and it was bliss
3. I am thankful that once again, i am strong and my mind is being renewed, i'm out of the dumps, halleluyah!
4. I am thankful that God gave me the wisdom to download the display driver for my laptop using Mozilla cos IE kept terminating. Now y computer looks good! Yay!
5. I am thankful to God for family and what it means. My parents seem to bug me with their calls all the time and though i lament at how many questions they ask, i am very thankful that they care.
6. I am thankful that God helped me out with the manic cab driver i used yesterday night and He gave me patience to handle the situation. I tell you that wasn't me, typical WF would freak out! (to hear the story, you have to pay me!)
7. I am thankful that i know the one who holds tomorrow so the future is certain.
8. I am once again thankful for provision for Mr and I. We never lack and all our needs are met. Infact i don't think i have real 'needs', just wants..and God still meets them. Halleluyah
9. I am thankful for God's protection over our lives. We go out and come in with no incidents. Praise the Lord!
There must be something you're thankful for, wanna shar e?
Ps: check out the soulsistas blog if you haven't done so.